Basic Herbal Tincture Prep
You will need:
- Sterilized Mason jar/ or any other type with a tightly fitting lid.
- Coffee Grinder, Blender, Knife, small food possessor
- Herb either dried or fresh
- 80 - 100 proof Alcohol (Vodka or Rum)
- Small Dark Glass Dropper Bottles
- Cheese Cloth
- Marker & Labels
- Chop Fresh or Powder Dried Herbs as finely as possible. Coffee
grinders, Food processors, Blenders or a simple knife work. The finer
- Herbs which are chopped or powdered more easily allow for the plant materials to be extracted.
- Decide how much alcohol is needed by weighing plant materials.
- Place plant materials in jar & cover with proper amount of alcohol.
- Seal the jar with lid. Label and Date. And place in cool, dry, dark place.
- Shake jar each day for two weeks.
- After two week, strain the tincture using cheesecloth or similar product.
- Tinctures are usually stored in small dark glass, dropper bottles. Poor strained alcohol in to final labeled bottle. Store in cool, dry, dark area.
- 7oz of dried herbs or 8oz of fresh chopped herbs will need approx. 1loz of liquid.
- For tinctures which will be ingested, Rum will help disguise the taste of bitter herbs.
- Standard oral dosage is 1 teaspoon, 1-3 times daily, diluted in tea, juice or water.
- Tinctures can last up to 2 years if stored properly.