Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Clear the clutter, here comes the Witch

Hi everyone! My name is Judith, and I'm a 5th generation witch. I'm in or close to my 50's (I'll never tell) I was taught the craft at my father's knee, while my mother tried in vain to get me to become a nun! Not going to happen! But, it made her happy to try, so I let it be. I noticed a lot of blogs are complaints, ruinations, and used sort of like a diary. But, mine will be different. I want to teach, pass on some of the usefully information about the craft, spells, potions, and all that good stuff that I've been taught, and have used over the years.

I hope you enjoy them, and maybe even learn some things in the meantime. I'll post spells, and show you how to use them. Along with making perfumes, soaps, and other fun things to do.

Being raised in the craft, and taught as a solitary practioner, I guess I do things kind different the some of the "newbee's" that pick up a book, and get all gothic. Giggle. My spells are done with out all the ritualistically nonsense that you find in the books. I don't do a circle, and all the rot that accompany rituals in the books.

I bless my house, make it safe, set up a room for my use, and that's about it.

I do live by the rules....... Do what you will if it harms none.........Whatever you do comes back to you 10 times over.

So don't expect any black stuff cause it just isn't gonna happen. But, I have learned over the years ways to get around some of those rules.......Such as:
1. If the spell is for personal gain....... Have someone else cast if for you....This way your not in trouble
2. Spells can be cast to get revenge....But only to teach someone a life lesson, not to hurt them
3. Love spells can be done..... As long as it's a general one, and not aimed at one person.

See, you can have fun, and watch your back at the same time.

Now to start off, here's how you set up your craft room. It's always better to have your own room to do this in. I was lucky to always have my own room to play in.....But if you can't do that, make one somewhere you can have some privacy. If your just going to set up an alter in your bedroom or somewhere like that..... Here's a few tips to help you out.

Don't set up on a table for your alter. Use a trunk, or a chest of drawers, or something with some kind of storage. Your going to need it. It's amazing how fast you wind up collecting herbs and just plain tons of stuff.

Make sure you have a locked cabinet for herbs or things that can be poisons, you want to protect your kids or friends. You wouldn't want anyone getting at your knife and such. Plus I just HATE when people touch my stuff, and they have no idea what they are playing with. Case in point: "Oh what a pretty rock!!!" and they pick up your crystals and move them around. Arrrrrrrrrrrrr, I want to wack them one up side of their head!!!!

Pick a god or goddess that you want to be associated with. Look thru the list of all the gods and goddess's in all cultures, and pick one that seems to be the most like you want to be. I picked Hertha, (also called Vesta) she's the goddess of home and hearth. Perfect for me! But, you should pick out someone that calls to YOU.

Then find something to represent them. A statue, or a painting. And have that as the main point on your alter

Other things you will need:

1. A good knife, or anthem. Make sure it's has a black handle, and stainless steel, so that it can be sharpened and kept clean.

2. A mortar and pestle...... Always good to have two of these. One of marble for poison type herbs, and one of wood for those herbs that are safe to ingest

3. A cauldron of some type. Too burn your incense and such in. I have a copper one, but you may pick out something that calls to you. Remember if it doesn't have feet to keep the heat off your furniture, get a ceramic or marble tile to put it on.

4. Sand for your cauldron. I use beach sand that I collected myself. But it doesn't matter what kind of sand you use, don't burn incense in your cauldron unless there is sand in it!!!

5. Candles, candles and more candles. There is always a use for them. Tall ones, and short ones, thick ones, and taper ones. Try to get all colors that you can find. It's nice if they smell nice too. I'll teach you later how to anoint them for spell use.

6. Books, books, and more books. You don't have to read all the garbage in most of them, but having a reference for spells is great. After all, you will eventually change them around to suit your own needs.

7. And Crystal. Most important of all. Get them in all sizes. I have large ones for show, small one's to guard my window sills and doorways, Medium ones to use for healing. You don't need fancy one's. Just nice quartz crystal. Check e-bay or such.

8. Salt. Lots of salt, can be sea salt, or just the containers you get in the grocery store. This is used to protect your house, clean your crystals and other items you get for your alter. Lots, and Lots of salt. You'll find yourself running out of it all the time!!! NEVER, EVER USE A CRYSTAL OR ANYTHING ELSE IN YOUR ROOM, WITHOUT FIRST CLEANING IT WITH SALT!!! You don't want to inherit the nasty aura's of the last person that handled it. Think of your items as if they were found in a public toilet. THEY HAVE TO BE CLEANED BEFORE YOU USE THEM.

Well, that's all for today, tomorrow there will be much more. :) Giggle

1 comments:

Mary said...

What a wonderful Blog... Welcome and Blessed Be.. ::big smile:: I will be of course a regular reader. giggle hehe and i too just hate it when someone just picks up a pretty ie a cyrstal and says ohh look at what a pretty rock especially one thats on my alter!!! ::growls:: giggles

Anyways welcome to world of blogs and what a great idea and I love the name of the blog.. hehe I am sure merlin was very happy too...hehe LOL

Hugs
Mary