Wednesday, July 02, 2008

well fucking "A"

NOW I know why!!!!!!!!!



Hereditary Condition Turns People Who Drink Red
'Asian Flush' Syndrome More Common With Asian Americans


Reporting
Dr. Max Gomez NEW YORK (CBS) ― Many people enjoy an occasional glass of wine, beer or cocktail. Doctors even say that moderate drinking appears to be good for you, but what if even a little bit of alcohol, in a drink or medications caused you to turn bright red?

This strange problem often leads to unnecessary medical treatment.

The hereditary genetic problem affects a particular ethnic group far more frequently, even though they themselves often have not even heard of it - but it's common enough that it's been dubbed the 'Asian Flush.'

Alcoholic drinks have always been a part of human cultures, but some people don't react well to alcohol. And then there are those who really can't drink.

"I turn purple," said Han Kao. "Certain alcoholic products make me actually turn purple."

"I actually start to get flushed right here and here," said Jarred Yoshida, pointing to his neck and cheeks. "I start to feel it all over my head."

Besides their reaction to alcohol, Yoshida and Kao also share an Asian heritage. Kao is Korean and Yoshida is Japanese.

Yoshida thought he was the only one with this problem.

"Then I went to Japan for a year and then I started to notice everyone else not being able to hold their alcohol and that's when I thought this is not about me, this is probably something very genetic," he said.

His suspicions were correct.

"About 50 percent of Asian Americans as well as Asians throughout the world may be affected by Asian Flush syndrome. What it really is, is the difficulty in the body breaking down alcohol - products cause of a genetic trait where they have difficulty metabolizing alcohol," said Dr. Clifford Basset of the Long Island College Hospital.

Dr. Bassett said Asian Flush syndrome can also cause nausea, light-headedness and drowsiness after even the small amount of alcohol in some medications. Plus some people get mistakenly diagnosed with other conditions.

"You may be treated for skin conditions such as rosacea, flushing syndrome, panic attacks, a variety of situations," said Dr. Basset.

Kao has learned that certain drinks affect him much more than others.

"I just try to avoid those products and certain other ones it's alright, so if I'm a little red people understand I'm a phenomenon," he said.

Yoshida has to avoid alcohol altogether, which has a silver lining.

"It's saved me tons of money; it's made me not abuse my liver or my body. I've never been hung over in my entire life because I don't drink," boasted Yoshida.

And since he's always the designated driver, Yoshida gets his friends to buy him an occasional meal or dessert.

Alcohol is like a toxin for people with Asian Flush. Even though it is genetic, not all members of a family have the gene-type that keeps them from metabolizing alcohol properly.

0 comments: