Sunday, July 29, 2007

How does your garden grow?

This morning I went blueberry picking!!!! And the best thing was that I didn't have to leave my yard!!!

Last year I planted in oak planters, two blueberry bushes. And let me tell you they are doing great! Besides some acid fertilizer in the fall, there's really not much to do to them. Quick, easy, and tastily!

I want to get some current plants next year, they make great jelly, and are yummy dried, plus making black current wine is the best. So I think I'll use 2 planters for them.


I wanted to plant some gooseberry's, but they aren't allowed in NJ, or at least not shipped to NJ, so I have to find a local garden shop for them.


On the other side of the house, by the shed, I planted 3 native beach plums. And they are doing great, even without watering or any attention at all from me. They should have plums in another year. Slow to fruit, but when they do...... WATCH OUT!!! Small, juicy, sweet plums on bush's!!! And tons of them too.


I don't feel like doing artichokes next year, to much work and early prep for just a few, so I'll have to think of something else in there.


Tomatoes..... NOT...... not planting one!!!!! It's going to be a tomatoless summer next year! GIGGLE Though those nice Asian eggplants are coming back every year. LOVE THEM!


Well, I have to January, when the Gurneys catalog will arrive, to figure out what's going in the big planters. I'm leaning towards fruiting bushes and dwarf trees, instead of veggies.


Also, by then I should have the HUGE cast iron Cauldron planter, that Barb is giving me. I'm going to do Iris, and other plants that drape over the sides in it. Maybe some mint, that will grow down. Or something with flowers!

0 comments: