Saturday, February 19, 2011

Inch worm, inch worm, measuring the......



I just planted a HUGE pot of these Yellow Marigolds!!! I found them last year, and because they were so different then the regular old orange marigolds... I kept the seeds for this year.

Marigolds do great from your left over dried flower seeds!!! Lots of annuals don't do good from the plant seed, because they have been mutated and changed to such a degree that the seeds from them don't breed true! But Marigolds do!

And after gathering them when the flower dries, you can keep them in a jar for years without a problem!

And like I've written before... Marigolds are my mainstay for wonderful things they do!

1. planted with other plants they keep ALL bugs AWAY!!! Even those pesky caterpillars!!!

2. Dried flowers, sprinkled under furniture, and in the cushions KILL FLEAS!!!

3. rub fresh flowers between your hands, and then rub it into your pets fur, prevents the pesky fleas from hitching a ride on them!

So, I'm starting a big pot of them inside, so I can get them transplanted outside by the end of March. One year I didn't do this, and the caterpillars almost killed my blueberry bush's!!!

Plus, they look so pretty when you stick them in planters around the other plants!!!

These are different because they sort of look like Daisy's... and of course Yellow reminds me of spring!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother's favorite to plant! Thanks for the advice about the buggy issues, I'm growing blueberrys this year so I will surely add these to my garden.

Unknown said...

These are so gorgeous! It makes me wish spring was already here and constant so I could start planting too!

Jeanne said...

I love the happy, cheerful color of marigolds. And these are so pretty!!!
Marigolds definitely earn their keep in the garden with more than a pretty face. :0)

VintageSage said...

Oh Judith...I am going to get some!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I love Marigolds. We plant them around our garden every year. I didn't know they killed fleas too! Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to pick some up and start planting in my first garden this year!