Sunday, February 27, 2011

Cauldron



I'm sure some of you remember my pretty cauldron from last year. I stole it from my girlfriend Barb... well, she actually gave it to me..... but it took me years to convince her to do that!!! GIGGLE

It's very, very old. I would say it's from the late 1700's- early 1800's.... and before Barb got it, it held tons of Iris's!!!!

But, over the years, from all the weight of the soil, one little crack has almost made it all the way around the pot!!!

I repaired the crack with metal putty, cause it's cast iron, and I don't know anyone who can weld cast iron..... so........... because of the big crack I kept it empty!

Last year I had an idea, and started gathering empty milk bottle... the plastic ones with tops. Gathering them in a big plastic bag, I had them in the cauldron.... today I added another plastic bag full of those nasty leaves that gathered in my yard.... so that the cauldron is filled to the top with all those milk cartons and leaves.

Then I put about 2 inch's of dirt on top!!!!!

Now I can plant annuals there, without the heavy weight of the soil cracking my pot some more!!!!!

Annuals have light roots, so you don't need much soil, and the cauldron will look pretty, and hopefully not crack anymore!!!!

I'm very proud of myself!! GIGGLE

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it and can't wait to see it with the annuals in it.

Diandra said...

That's a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Awesome cauldron! I have one too. It has legs so it sits inside on my hearth.

Rue said...

I love your cauldron and am really happy you found a way to use it, without worrying about the crack. I didn't know iron could crack - but I guess everything wears down eventually!