Monday, October 05, 2009

Pine cone picking



This afternoon I went pine cone picking..... nice thing is that I live in the Pine Barrens... so pine cones are plentiful!!!!!


I HATE the ones they sell in the store.... with that horrible strong Cinnamon smell!!! Yuck!!!!

So, I gather my own.... along with my own acorns!

Now the pine cones I do lots of stuff with... decorate them with fake snow and glitter and put them on the tree..... put them in a bowl on the table for decoration.

I also have some "Evergreen Oil" that I sprinkle on them to give the whole house that Yule smell we all love so much!

I have to do that because I don't believe in putting a dying tree in my living room, decorating it and celebrating..... HOW GROSS!!!

(don't worry, I do understand those who like real tree's..... this is just MY personal preference!)


Tree's should be ALIVE!!! And there is no way in heck I'm going to cut, and kill one for my own pleasure!!!!!

I know people don't like artificial tree's.... but instead of killing a live one... I live with it.

I will put evergreen branches around the house... tree's don't mind losing a branch or two! But when I see the dead tree's all lined up at the curb for pickup, I just feel like crying!!!! All that green life, snuffed out for a few days of pleasure???

That's why I use the pine cones. They make the house smell great, and the tree's already dumped them.


When the holidays are over... I burn them LIGHTLY, and spread the seeds to grow again. Pine seeds don't germinate unless they have been exposed to high heat for a short time. Though some I have actualy kept for years and years!

4 comments:

Mother Moon said...

that sounds so much fun... Something I definately need to do... And I agree about the ones you buy... natural is so much better

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one that didn't like live trees for Yule because I couldn't stand watching one die. It is heartbreaking.

My daughters and I have been gathering pine cones and acorns lately. I am excited that they enjoy this as much as I do.

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

I hear you on the Christmas tree thing sister! Makes me very sad too. Fake tree for me all the way!!

Cheers!

Sparkless said...

I'm the opposite, can't stand the fake trees. They are so not environmentally friendly. The real trees are grown on tree farms and totally go back to nature when they are done being used.
But then I live in an area where real trees are easy to find and fairly inexpensive to buy.
We collect pine cones too from the Ponderosa pine tree. They have lovely long needles too that you can weave into baskets and such.