Wednesday, June 09, 2010

BUGS!!!




Even in container planting you can get bugs!!!

And to keep things natural, and pesticide free.....MARIGOLDS!!!

Yes, those pretty little flowers that come out early in spring. (humming the Inch Worm song)

Plant them around the edges of planters, put pots of them between planters, spread them out all through you garden... and you will NEVER see a bug!!!!

One year I forgot to plant them in the blueberry containers (around the edges) and I had caterpillars!!!! GROSS!!!

But as long as I remember them, my plants are bug free!!!

Also great to use in a regular garden too.

And a hint.... when the flowers dry out, harvest the seeds!!! And save them for the next year... marigolds are one of few plants the maintain their quality when replanted from seeds!

Also great if you have pets. Marigold and Mum flower petals kill flea's in your house!!!

You dry them out, and vacuum some up to kill any flea's that get in your vacuum, put the dried petals under your furniture cushions, and even rub the petals between your hands... and then run your hands into your pets fur!!!!

I've used it for years!

2 comments:

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Knew about the marigolds in the garden, but not dried for use in the house. Thanks great tip.

Cheers!

VintageSage said...

I never knew this! Thanks, Judith! You're always full of great info. I'm back! I'm so sorry I've been away for so long. Have missed you! Lots of blessings and hugs!