I'm making some Mead. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a type of....Well not a wine, more like a hard liquor made from honey. It's so easy to do, and makes a yummy fall drink.
First you get a jug, or glass container. A nice large one with a cork or screw cap. 1. Wash the jug with hot soapy water and drain till dry.
2. Then you add from 1 pint to a full pound of honey. How much you want to add is up to you, the more honey the sweeter it is.
3. Place the honey in the jug, and add hot water to fill the jug.
4. Mix the honey with the water till it is liquid
5. Place the jug in your sink....Believe me you will have to do this, for at least the first few hours since it will bubble up and make a mess if you don't. (after it stops bubbling over the top, you can place it on the cabinet to do the rest)
6. Add one packet of dry yeast
and sit back and watch. LOL
After it stops foaming over the top of the bottle. Wipe down the bottle, and place a straw in the bottle, not touching the liquid, but above it, and tape the lid of the jug closed around the straw.
This allows bubbles and gas to escape, but prevents air from getting in and turning it all into vinegar.
It will bubble furiously for a few days, when the bubbling has seemed to calm down a lot, cork it, or close the top, and let it sit for 2 weeks. Then it's ready to drink
Add a shot to your tea, or drink it straight up. You can also add some apple cider to it, for extra Yummy, tastes like fall!!!!
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Posted by Judith at 2:14 PM