Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Summer lament




I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.






I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
All I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the seagulls crying.







I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trip's over.

Homer W. Smith

2 comments:

VintageSage said...

Beautiful. You know what I want to do? Go to the beach and look for sea glass. :)

Judith said...

Ohhhh, I do that every time I'm there... I have quite a lot. but this summer I haven't been there much, what with my granddaughter sick, and all my money going to getting my son to Rutgers. but all in all, the beach is only 6 miles from my house, so I'm ashamed I didn't go more... what do you do with the sea glass?